Imagine for one second that you are a UAV developer. The DIYdrones ArduPilot is an awesome piece of hardware; you love all the great sensors that are attached; you love the all-in-one design and the small/light size.  But you are also feeling the limits of it’s ATMega 2560 processor and the limits of it’s 256Kb of RAM.  And maybe, you enjoy developing code within a full blown Linux developers environment with all the supporting libraries and device drivers that Linux has to offer.

Hardware Layout

Here is a picture of a protype “hybrid” autopilot system for small UAV’s.  What you see in the picture includes:

The above picture was deliberately taken without most of the wires to show the components.  Once all the wires are connected, things will look much more “busy”.  This is a prototype system so the components will be jumpered together, probably with a bit of hot glue here and there to ultimately secure the wiring before flight.

Software Layout

Just as important as the hardware layout is the software layout.  This is maybe a bit more boring and I can’t really take a picture of it to post here, but I will give a few bullet points for anyone who might be interested.

September 7, 2012 Update:

Here is a picture showing the whole system plugged together with 6″ sparkfun jumper wires.  The wiring gets a little “busy” when everything is connected together so I plan to do some work buttoning things up, simplifying, and cleaning up the wire runs.  I’ve attached 3 servos to test auto vs. manual outputs.  You can see a 900Mhz Xtend modem (1 watt power, 115,200 baud), and the entire system is powered by a single RC receiver battery.  In the aircraft this should all run just fine off the BEC.  And here is a video of everything in action:

That’s about it. The modified APM2 firmware is happy and running.  The overo autopilot code is up and running and talking to the APM2.  Next up is validating the radio modem ground station connection, and then I’m running out of things to do before dropping this into an airplane!

September 17, 2012 Update:

It’s far from a perfect integration, but I spent some time this evening bundling up wires.  Definitely an improvement.  Working towards full integration into a Senior Telemaster (electric powered) and hope to do some first test flights later this week.  Today I test fit everything, powered everything from the main flight battery and verified basic control surface movements in manual mode and autopilot mode.  The radio modem link is running and the mapping and instrument panel views on the ground link up and run.

2012-09-05 14:21:13 -0500 - Written by curt