More wing related repairs

I encountered two more issues that I needed to address:

  1. The cheap retract servo stripped out.
  2. The rear wing hold down threads stripped out.

I replaced the retract servo with a much higher quality hi-tech metal gear servo and spent about 10 minutes fiddling with end point adjustments and linkage lengths to try to get non-binding operation and minimize the servo buzz.

The stripped rear wing hold down threads was a bigger problem.  I tried to glue a nut to the back to replace the cheap plastic threaded plate, but just made a mess of things, got glue on the threads, etc.  Just a big mess that was hard to deal with due to it’s location and inaccessibility when things are lined up and put together.  So I went old-school — found a “blind” or “t” nut (like you use when kit building to anchor firewall mounts, wing mounts, etc.) and found a matching non-metric screw (my hardware store doesn’t sell metric t-nuts.)

So that’s it — no pictures, but the repairs are complete and the bird is airworthy again — at least until the next cheap part strips or breaks. 🙂